Wednesday 11 February 2009

A Positive Thinking day

Today I travelled into London for a training course. I was on the go from the moment I woke up at 6.30, and I didn't notice my tinnitus until I was walking back home from the station around 3pm. And that was only because I started thinking about what I was going to write on the blog!

So, if I hadn't been blogging this week, would I have noticed my tinnitus today?

The answer has to be yes - there are specific times each day when I hear my tinnitus. When I wake up and I'm trying to rouse myself out of bed. When I sit at the computer here at home, with only the whirr of the fan in the background. When I switch off the light at night.

Looking at what I've just written makes me realise that's actually a very short list! So, you may ask, can the tinnitus really be that intrusive or distressing for me? Well, yes, at certain times it has been. And that's because I forget about it for a while and then it comes back and reminds me that it's there. And because I know that on certain types of days it will be louder than others. And sometimes I'm not sure if a sudden increase in volume will be followed by a decrease.

But... (and this is a big 'but') most days, for most of the time, I don't notice it. My life is full of wonderful people and experiences - my family, my children, my job, my friends and neighbours, music, reading, the birds in my garden... I am so lucky to have all of this. I have learned to put aside the tinnitus and concentrate on enjoying my life. In fact, while I was typing that list of positives, I forgot all about the tinnitus!

I firmly believe that if you can start to accept that it is part of you, stop fighting against the noises, stop blaming yourself, your environment or a specific event for causing it - you are a long way along the line to coming to terms with it. A more peaceful life will follow. It worked for me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you...that my a great way to look at it..the only way!

    ReplyDelete

Any inappropriate comment will be removed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.