Sunday 15 February 2009

Time to refocus elsewhere

So, it's 2 days since my last blog. Why do I feel as if I'm going to confession? But if there's anything to confess, it's that I've had a great couple of days. The last thing I wanted to do was to sit down and write about tinnitus. The last thing I wanted to do was concentrate on something that I don't like. Something that I try to avoid thinking about if at all possible.

This week we've all been focussing on our condition, while writing about how we distract ourselves from it. That has to be the key to coping - for me at least - while an accessible cure is still such a long way off.

Aha - there it is, for the first time since I got up this morning - my little friend and yours, the high pitched squeak.

About a year or so ago I was lucky enough to meet various people who are working on finding out more about tinnitus, and possible treatments. I spoke to professionals who work in areas from cognitive therapy to neurosurgery. I met a lady who was fortunate enough to have her tinnitus 'turned off' following surgery. I spoke to a physiotherapist who surprised me with his instant insights into how my emotions played a part in my tinnitus. I said at the time that I felt that I lived in a treatment desert, with little help that I could access locally.

If more people could access simple therapies for managing their tinnitus, to help them address the emotional issues and negative feelings that come with the condition, then I'm sure there would be a massive impact on the quality of their lives.

I've already said in this blog that I'm lucky enough to have come to terms with tinnitus. It rarely depresses me any more. I know there are many thousands of people who have not reached this position of acceptance and relative peace. Perhaps some will be encouraged to go out and seek help. If you do, I wish you luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any inappropriate comment will be removed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.