Friday 13 February 2009

Thursday 12th/Friday 13th February

I didn't get round to posting my blog entry yesterday, as it was just an incredibly busy day.

I was writing last night (gone midnight), and realised that was the first time all day I'd noticed my tinnitus. I guess that was partly due to the fact I was just on the go all day, but also that I hadn't had a chance to think about this blog!

This week has really made me think about how perception affects my tinnitus. Yesterday, I hadn’t thought about it, so although I’m sure it was there I didn't notice it at all. Now I’m writing about it, I can notice my tinnitus again but after a great Tai Chi session last night it’s not particularly bothering me.

So, I wonder is keeping my mind occupied a key to managing my tinnitus? Although, if I am keeping busy with the purpose of minimising my tinnitus will I actually still be aware of it? So many questions, and I know there are lots other factors which I can’t always account for, nor have control over. My tinnitus always seems so much more evident when I’m tired, stressed, upset or agitated and these are states I can’t always avoid.

For me, identifying and (excuse me if this sounds ridiculous) embracing my tinnitus actually helps. Trying to ignore it or wishing it away just doesn't work, and only makes me more stressed and aware of it.

It's only really as I've been writing this blog this week that I have realised this, so as well as hopefully giving people a small insight into my experiences I'm very grateful that I have also taken a lot of positives from it too. And as hard as I know it can be sometimes, staying positive as much as you can is just vital in not letting this terrible condition get the better of you.

1 comment:

  1. Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

    ReplyDelete

Any inappropriate comment will be removed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.