Saturday 7 February 2009

Saturday 7th February

I met a few friends for drinks last night in the city. Typically, being a Friday night, everywhere we wanted to go was blasting out loud music - which I do my best to avoid where I can.

As the weather was so cold we didn’t feel like wandering around for ages to find somewhere suitable, so we settled on a place playing music, but where we managed to find a quiet corner.

When I was younger, I would often come home from a nightclub, lie down to go to sleep and be unable to because of the loud buzzing noise in my ears. At the time, I didn’t realise what this was or why this was and regret subjecting my ears to potential long-term damage and wonder if my tinnitus wouldn‘t be quite so prominent now. However, I am happy to say this wasn’t the case when I got home last night and I fell straight to sleep.

Being a Saturday, I’m feeling pretty relaxed so my tinnitus is fairly non-existant as I write this. Although, I am becoming more aware of it as I think about it!

Having said I try to avoid loud music, I am a huge music fan and am actually going to see a live band tonight. This I know will have a huge impact on my tinnitus if I don’t take precautions, but I have earplugs I bought specifically for when I listen to live music, which I will of course wear tonight. I also know to encourage the group to stand away from the speakers and take breaks from the music - although that does mean I tend to be the one sent to the bar! Obviously, because I work for Deafness Research UK I am more and more aware about the damage that can be done to your ears, so as well as ensuring my tinnitus doesn’t get worse, I know I am also taking effective steps to protect my hearing.

5 comments:

  1. Hello I'm Sue, 47 I have T in both ears along with hearing loss. My T started after a plane flight(pain in both ears) at the age of 27.
    I wear 2 aides...they've helped me bigtime! I notice when I work out or go for a long walk it helps ease the stress. Water fountains help mask the noises. Just being outside helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Sue here! I'm 60 and have tinnitus (and other things) after failed brain surgery. I find hearing aides and earplugs actually increase my tinnitus - noise-reducing headphones are more effective. Has anyone esle had similar experience?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found that a hearing aid made my tinnitus very much worse. After 11 years of tinnitus I am begining to get a little bit of habituation. Have fallen on ice earlier in the week and broken wrist, that seemed to increase the tinnitus again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello all !

    I was given a digital hearing aid to try but all I could hear was background 'tinny' noises and it gave me headaches so I gave up with it. My hearing isn't actually that bad, though I also suffer from excessive ear wax so I get the double whammy, and quiet speaking people at work are a big problem as I need to be right up close to them to hear anything.......!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone and thank you for your comments - it's always so interesting to hear what other people find helps with their tinnitus and what doesn't.

    I haven't gotten to the stage of trying hearing aids yet, but I'd definitely agree with Anonymous that earplugs increase my tinnitus when I'm in a quiet environment - I only even use them when I know I'm going to be somewhere noisy.

    ReplyDelete

Any inappropriate comment will be removed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.